Theatre BC’s Mainstage 2019 is being held in sunny Port Alberni, with nightly performances at the ADSS Performing Arts Theatre. This theatre first opened in 2013 in conjunction with the newly built Alberni District Secondary School. Most of our workshops will be held in the classrooms there, and The Capitol Theatre (home of host club Portal Players Dramatic Society) will be the hub of operations, with registrations & check-in being held there, an information desk, the nightly green room parties, meetings and is the location for our two Workshop Play slots.
Dean Paul Gibson
We’re thrilled that Dean Paul Gibson is back to adjudicate for us at Mainstage 2019. He’s a Theatre BC favourite who is already familiar with the Vancouver Island community theatre scene, and adjudicated the North Island Zone Drama Festival in 2015, hosted by Portal Players in Port Alberni. He last adjudicated Mainstage in 2013, in Kamloops. Dean will provide a short public critique following each nightly performance, and then meet with the cast & crew the following morning for an in-depth chat and “coffee critique”. Ticket holders will also be able to observe these highly educational sessions. Read our biography of Dean here.
An extensive series of workshops is planned again for this year:
- Workshop Plays (two slots) with Andrew McIlroy and Nicolle Nattrass (Clubs: Info link to apply for a WORKSHOP PLAY slot)
- New Play Workshop, featuring a winning script from this year’s Playwriting Competition, with Kathryn Shaw
- Stage Combat (two workshops) with Robinson Wilson
- Scene Transitions with Andrew McIlroy
- Intimacy for Actors and Intimacy for Directors (two workshops) with Fran Gebhard & guest instructors
- Mining The Text for Deeper Connection, an actor’s workshop with Fran Gebhard
- Theatre Youth Camp for ages 13 to 18 with Carrera Schroeder
- More details and online registration is coming soon for these workshops!
We will also hold a series of Four Open Discussion Forums with knowledgable panelists:
- Producing in Community Theatre
- Safe Spaces 2, a follow-up to last year’s successful discussion
- First Nations Theatre Projects
- Money Makers for Community Theatre
Port Alberni is ready to host you this summer – accommodations options are listed on this Alberni Valley Chamber of Commerce website link.
Tickets to all the shows will be available online soon. Individual performance tickets, 3-day, 5-day and 8-day ticket packages can be bought at early bird and member discounted rates – keep checking back for when they go on sale.
The ADSS Performing Arts Theatre has 500 seats, all with a great view of the stage, and with festival seating in place for Mainstage.
Keep Checking Back . . .
More Mainstage 2019 information will be rolled out throughout the weeks leading up to our big Provincial Festival, including online registration forms for participants, workshop registration forms and online ticket sales to the shows. Stay tuned!